Federal assistance for damaged businesses

HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH) -- Federal assistance is available for damaged businesses in Connecticut's four shoreline counties: Fairfield, New Haven, Middlesex and New London.

The Governor says hundreds of businesses have applied, but many others are yet to sign up.

The Governor is planning an outreach with the small business administration and all the local chambers of commerce to help with applications.

As of Thursday, 6,000 Connecticut home owners have filed for federal help with repairs from Hurricane Sandy, but businesses are also eligible. So far only 900 have registered, but Governor Malloy says his administration is quite sure there are a lot more, and that there is help for more than just property damage. Economic losses can also be covered.

"Businesses of all sizes, and private, not for profit organizations, may apply," said Malloy. "So private organizations, and not for profit organizations, may apply for physical disaster loan of up to $2 million to repair or replace damaged real estate, equipment, inventory and fixtures."

You can get more information from this special website set up by the state government.

Copyright 2014 WTNH TV. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Political Pulse

Did you like this article? Vote it up or down! And don't forget to add your comments below!

Like It
Don't Like It


We welcome your thoughtful comments. Be the first to participate in the discussion. All comments will display your username and avatar.


Add a Comment

Sign in or join now to post a comment. All comments will display your username and avatar.


Connecticut (change)

Connecticut has 169 cities and towns, which serve as the fundamental local political subdivision of the state. Connecticut is the 5th of the original thirteen United States.
Offices & Officials

Governor: Dan Malloy
Lieutenant Governor: Nancy Wyman
Attorney General: George Jepsen
State Treasurer: Denise L. Nappier

Contacting the White House and Congress

Click the links below to get in touch with your elected officials.