Updated: Jan 2, 2013 12:47 PM
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Connecticut's comptroller says the state is on track to end the fiscal year with a budget deficit of $40 million.
The estimate released Wednesday by Comptroller Kevin Lembo reflects cuts that were made last month after officials revealed a $365 million deficit in the current $20 billion state budget.
Lembo said in a letter to Gov. Dannel P. Malloy that the projected deficit is now far below the level at which additional reduction efforts would be required automatically.
Malloy ordered $170 million in spending cuts, and further cuts were approved in a law signed by the governor last month.
Lawmakers are scheduled to return to the state Capitol on Jan. 9 for a new session, when they'll have to grapple with a projected deficit in the new two-year fiscal year.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Did you like this article? Vote it up or down! And don't forget to add your comments below!
Sign in or join now to post a comment. All comments will display your username and avatar.
Denise L. Nappier
Click the links below to get in touch with your elected officials.
Copyright © 2009 – 2014 LIN Media. All rights reserved.
Federal Budget News | Videos |
Races | Offices |
Opinion | Activity Stream
Terms and Conditions |
RSS Feed |