Cafero says he's not running for Conn. governor

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Connecticut House Minority Leader Lawrence Cafero Jr. says he's not running for governor in 2014.

The 55-year-old Republican from Norwalk said Thursday that he liked his chances of winning the Republican nomination but wants to spend time with his family, including his aging parents.

Cafero was one of several possible contenders for the party's nomination. Others include Senate Minority Leader John McKinney, Danbury Mayor Mark Boughton and Shelton Mayor Mark Lauretti. So far, only Joseph Visconti of West Hartford and Gordon Ward of Manchester have registered as Republican candidates for governor with the State Elections Enforcement Commission.

Democratic Gov. Dannel P. Malloy has not yet announced plans to seek a second term.

While Connecticut is a Democratic-leaning state, Cafero said he believes Malloy is politically vulnerable on economic issues.

Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

 

Political Pulse

Did you like this article? Vote it up or down! And don't forget to add your comments below!

No
Like It
 
Don't Like It
 
 
 

Comments

We welcome your thoughtful comments. Be the first to participate in the discussion. All comments will display your username and avatar.

 

Add a Comment

Sign in or join now to post a comment. All comments will display your username and avatar.

 


Connecticut (change)

 
Connecticut has 169 cities and towns, which serve as the fundamental local political subdivision of the state. Connecticut is the 5th of the original thirteen United States.
 
Offices & Officials

Governor: Dan Malloy
Lieutenant Governor: Nancy Wyman
Attorney General: George Jepsen
State Treasurer: Denise L. Nappier

Contacting the White House and Congress

Click the links below to get in touch with your elected officials.